April 23, 2010

A Heavy Dose Of Reality

I have always thought that I am too young to have any kind of medical issues. I'm only 34. Plus, I am healthy. I eat right. And I exercise.

But, when it comes to the sun I was... well stupid. Not in the sense that I would bake all day in the sun without wearing any sunscreen in hopes of getting that glorious tan. I have fair skin. I can not do that. I would get out in the sun with a sleeveless shirt or tank top. Most of time it was to go for a walk or to play sports. One time I went horseback riding and got completely fired. Or when I was younger, it was playing out in the yard or neighborhood.

I have had this spot on my arm for a long time. I just thought it was a scar. I have lots of them. I even had it looked at and was told it was nothing. Well, over the last few months this spot has started to change. I needed to see a dermatologist.

Here's the thing...there are maybe 10 dermatologist in this city. So it takes 3 months to get an appointment.

Anyway, I made the appointment and of course I was totally freaking out. Who would have thought that I could have cancer? It's such a freaky work.

Well...I have skin cancer. It's one spot on my arm. The doctor was great. He said it's the most common form. It can be removed and will not come back. So that means it's not melanoma. The doctor got a sample to send to the pathologist to confirm his diagnosis. But in about a week, I will get the results and then make an appointment to have the spot removed.

I am relieved and a little frightened at the same time. I am relieved to find out what the spot was and to confirm my suspicion that it was some form of cancer. I am frightened because I am only 34. What do the next 10 years look like?

It definitely opened my eyes. I will be doing routine checks on all of moles and sunspots that I currently have. I will be seeing a dermatologist on a regular basis. I highly recommend it. And I will be wearing sunscreen all the time. Eucerin has come out with a great moisturizer with SPF 15. I bought 2.

It can happen to anyone. Wear sunscreen and get yourself checked.

1 comment:

Moxie Girl aka Amber Lea Easton said...

First, I am relieved that this is treatable for you. Second, I commend you on sharing this cautionary tale for the rest of us. It's true--there is no age limit on life's tragedies so we all should savor the moment we have because there is no guarantee of a tomorrow. I wish you the best!